Sunday, November 7, 2010

fin and Oakes, based off Caiti's blog

                My blog of fin and Oakes is based off of Caiti’s blog post.  When I started to read what she said, “Why would we only have the students who are doing well getting special attention and better classes and resources?  Who came up with this idea? The "less abled" kids are expecting to do badly. If you are expected to do badly, then why not do badly.  If your teachers believe you are "less abled" and give you non- challenging work and just expect less in general you are going to behave just that way.” These few sentences really made me think, and it made me think about a movie that I watched today on ABC.  The movie was called, “Freedom Writers” directed by, Richard LaGravenese.  It reminded me of this one specific scene in the movie, where the teacher is talking to the librarian who gives out copies of the books to the teachers and the students. But the librarian said that she would not give out the copies of the good books to the teachers who had certain students because they won’t take care of the books and they only deserve the books that are ripped and are not the same version as the better books. I can’t find the clip off of youtube but I have attached a clip of the movie trailer. Also what Caiti said was why we are only giving students who are doing well, more attention and better resources.  In the beginning of the movie it showed the teacher of the freedom writers walk down the hall and see the classrooms of the smarter students and they were decorated and clean and neat, and when she got to her room the walls were bare and the room was dirty. The outlook at the school amongst the teachers and staff is that why waste your time in trying to give certain students an education if they don’t want one.
                The next quote from Caiti’s blog was, "rich get richer and poor get poorer." This isn’t the first time I hear this quote this weekend. I actually heard it at the Promising Practices conference.  It was in my second session where we were talking about the routine of things and how nothing seems like its ever going to change the system.  The professor that I had mentioned to us that it seems as if the rich or going to keep getting richer and the poor are going to keep getter poorer.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the Movie preview!!!! Even the song 'I tried so hard' links perfect for this assignment!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story about the library is really sad. Books are really important in the learning process

    ReplyDelete