Sunday, November 7, 2010

Conference

                When I first walked into the doors of Donovan I was nervous, I wasn’t really sure what to expect and where to go. Quickly I figured out where to go and what line to stand in for registration, and I felt better once I saw a member of our class also standing in line to register.  I got my folder and scouted out where the class was sitting and I made my way over to them. We talked about what sessions we were all in and nobody at the table were going to be in the same class sessions with me.  We were then told to go to our first session I was excited.  I got to my classroom, and sat down and was waiting for the thing to start. The lady, who was presenting her presentation to us, had some type of African music playing and she was wearing some type of African clothing.  She started off her presentation with how her whole presentation is about un- bias education.  She had us write out a list of our social identities, she wanted to open our eyes to what describes us a person.  She had us sit in groups and go over our lists with one another.  Some of the things that were on my list were,
                                                -white
                                                -German
                                                -English
                                                -Presbyterians
                                                -Brian Tumor Survivor
                                                -am originally from Ohio
This is just a small list of things that were on my list that describes me, and who I am. My teacher that I had also mentioned the reading of McIntosh, and white privileges.  She just mentioned it as a really good reading to have read if you want to become an educator.  This session really opened my eyes to what other people are like and how we are all looked down upon by society, by some part of our identity.  For example I am looked down upon by society in Rhode Island because I am not a native Rhode Islander.
                My second session was about Black slavery, and how slavery still exists today in our world.  The guy in the lecture read us neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction. This was the basis of our conversation; it says that only people who have been convicted of a crime can be subjected to “slavery”.  This session was also really interesting and I think opened everyone’s eyes to, it’s not that we don’t know how to change the system and fix it, but its do the people who can change it, really want to? 




No comments:

Post a Comment