Saturday, October 16, 2010

Kahne and Westhimer **CALAIS MAINE**

 I really liked this article about service learning because I think it’s really important!!! I feel that everyone should do some sort of community service project at least once in their life. I feel that a real hand’s on experience is best. You get to see what’s going on personally. It definitely changes a person’s outlook on situations and life.  



About 3 years ago, I went to a small town called Calais Maine with a group from my church. We went with a group called youth works, and the point of the program is to get the youth out working for people who need the extra help. They may need help around their house or in a food pantry or even extra help at a day care. I was a part of the group that went to people’s houses and helped them re-paint the outside of them. Most of the people that live in this town are older and can’t do as much to keep the place looking beautiful. For the week that I was there I helped re-paint an elderly mans house, help a man clean up a camp that he has going for youth in the town. We went to the food pantry and cleaned everyyythhiinngg!!!!! And lately we went to a nursing home and spent some time with the people there.





This experience I had going to Calais really stuck with me and I’ve learned a lot about what the real world is like. I absolutely love helping other out; it just gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling that I’m doing something great! I try and share my experience of Maine with pretty much everyone so if you ever want to know more just ask!! Here are some pictures of my experience.

7 comments:

  1. That was an awesome thing that you did!!! Good for you! It makes you feel so great to help others, and it's an accomplishment for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful thing to do, it's charitable. The authors of this essay, however, say that that isn't enough. All it is is putting on a bandaid. Was there anything you did that challenged the dominant ideology that creates these conditions for the elderly? Did you even discuss it? That's what Kahne and Westheimer are telling us we have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nessa is right with what the authors had said. Its a charity, not for change. It is a great thing though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your post and thought you connected it really well with the article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your story and the pictures are great! I would love to do something like this, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your experience is such a great connection to this weeks reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Community service is really important and I am glad that you were able to do that. It looks like you were having a lot of fun with your service. That is the thing people don’t understand is that community service can be fun and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete