Saturday, October 30, 2010

Gender and Education --book--

Gender Bias in Education

While I was browsing the web, I found a lot of interesting sites, but I decided to narrow it down to the two websites that I have posted. The first website is just a description of a book that is titled Gender and Education. The second website talks about the Gender Bias in Education.

The reason why I liked the second web site so much was because it fascinated me that gender bias really exists in education.

One quote that I really liked from the second website was this,

"Teachers socialize girls towards a feminine ideal. Girls are praised for being neat, quiet, and calm, whereas boys are encouraged to think independently, be active and speak up. Girls are socialized in schools to recognize popularity as being important, and learn that educational performance and ability are not as important. "Girls in grades six and seven rate being popular and well-liked as more important than being perceived as competent or independent. Boys, on the other hand, are more likely to rank independence and competence as more important." (Bailey, 1992)

I never really thought much about gender and education before because it never really affected me but I’m sometimes in subliminal ways it does. Girls are known to be a bit neater and quieter than boys, I remember when I was working at the YMCA over the summer I would always hope to get more girls than boys because the girls in my option are quieter and listen better to directions. I know this may not always be true but I’m my experience it is.

3 comments:

  1. I like the large quote that you posted. I like that at the end it said about certain grade of girls and their feelings about being popular, compared to boys at the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the website very interesting!!!! Great job on the gender debate

    ReplyDelete
  3. After doing the research, I agree that it still exists.

    ReplyDelete