Saturday, October 9, 2010

Unlearning the myths that bind us

-- Omar wrote: "When we read children's books, we aren't just reading cute little stories, we are discovering the tools with which a young society is manipulated."
            --I feel this is a very strong quote. It really gets you thinking about your own childhood and what you remember about the stories you were told. The stories I was told was Cinderella and beauty and the beast and little mermaid. They are all stories about princesses and they are all white. That right their already makes younger children believe that all princesses are white. Not until recently did they add another Disney princess to the mix. Her name is Tiana and she is from New Orleans. I think it is a little stereo-typical that the one black princess is from the south.
But this quote just reinforces that its true and the media does try to manipulate us at a very early age and it enforces stereo types in us.


-- Brazilian educator Paulo Freire wrote that instead of wrestling with words and ideas, too often students "walk on the words."

        --This quote I didn’t fully understand.  I wanted to bring it up in my blog because I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me.

I think that It could mean that student don’t take on what people say and what is being said to them and look at what’s being said here, but instead they just let it go in one ear and out the other. They almost pretend that they never heard or saw it. (I’m not sure if I’m on the right track but if anyone feels it means something completely different, let me know!)


--"True death equals a generation living by rules and attitudes they never questioned and producing more children who do the same."

            --I agree 100% with this statement. Everyone is made differently so why do we all have to act the same way? We live in an age where we all need to be active questioners and be ourselves.
If we continue to follow the same rules and have the same attitudes and never question anything, we will live in a world of gray. A gray world has nothing exciting about it. and I don’t know about you but this quote really has me thinking and I want to help try to make a change. J




1 comment:

  1. When I read that first quote in the article I was stunned. I've never thought of being manipulated by watching these movies as a young girl.

    ReplyDelete